Stanley St Peter’s CE Primary School actively promotes the core British values of democracy, individual liberty, the rule of law, mutual respect, tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. In accordance with these values, which are at the heart of our school’s Christian ethos, extremist ideas will be challenged and opportunities for radicalisation prevented.
We promote British values in many ways; through teaching and learning (in particular the PSHCE curriculum), Collective Worship and through our wider school activities.
Below are some examples of how we promote British Values – it is important to note that this is not an exhaustive list.
At Stanley St Peter’s we promote the importance of democracy through:
At Stanley St Peter’s we promote the importance of individual liberty by:
At Stanley St Peter’s we promote the importance of law through:
At Stanley St Peter’s we promote the importance of mutual respect through:
At Stanley St Peter’s we promote the tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs through:
The list below describes the understanding and knowledge expected of pupils as a result of schools promoting fundamental British values.
• an understanding of how citizens can influence decision-making through the democratic process;
• an appreciation that living under the rule of law protects individual citizens and is essential for their well-being and safety;
• an understanding that there is a separation of power between the executive and the judiciary, and that while some public bodies such as the police and the army can be held to account through Parliament, others such as the courts maintain independence;
• an understanding that the freedom to choose and hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law;
• an acceptance that other people having different faiths or beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour; and
• an understanding of the importance of identifying and combatting discrimination